Sunday, September 9, 2007

Bonjour de Paris!

Hey, everyone! I've been in Paris for three days now, but it feels like it's been longer. Pretty much, it has been the longest three days of my life, but it has also been a good experience. The flight over here was not without event. First, a girl I was traveling with went to shop for a book as we were boarding, so when the announcer said it was final boarding and I was the last one in line with her carry-on and mine, I told them to hold the plane, sprinted down to the bookstore to get her, and ran back to make it just in time! It was pretty crazy.

Then when I got on the plane, I found my seat next to a French guy about my age who was coming back from his internship in Texas for the summer. I could tell he was French as soon as I saw him because of the way he was dressed; sweater, khakis, nice watch, and non-tennis-shoe shoes. His name was Annadoor, or at least, that was the name he wrote down on a slip of paper next to his phone number and email he gave me as we parted at the gate :). He said that he could be a good tour guide for us in Paris and show us "all zhe best barz." Haha!

My first day in Paris was really hard, though. I was jetlagged, couldn't seem to remember any of the French I learned, and got totally lost on the metro that night. On the other hand, I did find my way around a major city, make new friends, and see the Eiffel Tower lit up at night, which was awesome. I've had mixed feelings about being here. Paris is a lot dirtier than I expected, and more expensive as well. But I have to admit, it is still quite an exciting city.

My second day in Paris was even more overwhelming, but also better than the first. A group of us went across town on the metro to a "marche des puces" (flea market) and then had baguette and salami for lunch before checking out of our hotel. We then met our host families, which I had been worried about for the last day.

My host family is actually just one lady, Madame Boudemange. She is a very nice, talkative French woman probably in her fifties who is very accommodating to mine and my roommate's needs. The apartment we live in with her is in the suburbs of Paris (a thirty to forty minute metro ride to town) that is extremely chic and modern, which is a step up from a lot of the older buildings you find in Europe. I look out my bedroom window and see the Seine River no farther than 300 feet away! I couldn't have picked a better location. True, we will have longer to go on the RER and metro to get to school downtown, but for me, it's worth it to get to live in such a beautiful, comfortable place. I think I will like living here.

The first night with Mme Boudemange, we went over to another host family's house for "diner dans la jardin" (dinner in the garden). My first real French meal was amazing, not because it was an over-the-top meal like everyone says French meals are, but because it was totally French; the courses, the food selection (cantaloupe, chicken with olives and cous cous, bread and cheese, and a fruit cake), and even the table settings and silverware.

The hardest part has definitely been the language. I am much more motivated to improve and I've already learned so much being here just two days. I'm hoping to pick up a lot while I'm here.

In other news, it turns out that I really miss everyone and not being able to call is killing me. Twenty euros for forty minutes is tres, tres cher! Pauvre moi! It's been a rough transition with so many changes to adjust to, so if anyone would like to send me an email, a facebook message, ANYTHING, I'd love to hear from you...

In the meantime, I love all of you and wish you the best! Just wanted to let you know I am here, alive, and doing my best to explore the streets of Paris!

5 comments:

Headle said...

You've made it to Paris! How exciting! We love hearing all the details about your trip, please keep us posted on the ins and outs of your trip :) We miss you!!

Kate, Josh & Sydney said...

Watch out for those French dudes and never go to any movies titled, "Les Cousines Dangereux!"

Emily Hagen said...

Reebok!!! Blake and I miss you already, too! We had Michelle over for dinner tonight, but it felt lonely just the three of us (PS your description of the french dinner made my mouth water). It sounds like Paris has been a crazy/fun experience for you so far. I hope it continues to bring you adventures. We will write you again soon!

AdViSoRMaN said...

Merci des nouvelles de Paris. Ce n'est pas sale; c'est Paris, France ou il y a tout genres du peuples tout partout. Il faut que tu apprennes la langue vite! Ce n'est pas facile, mais non pas dificile, non plus. C'est fantastique que La Seine est tout pres de l'appartement! Quel chance! J'ecrirai encore un peu plus tard. Au revoir. --Monsieur Homme D'Affaires

Chelsea said...

wow that is so cool! I am sitting in the library right now and I was laughing at how you said the french man's name and the napkin comment. Clever. I will remember to sit in the "no shh!" zone as I read your blogs :)
I miss you! have fun!